Tuesday 6 November 2012

End of course Project V


The next step was to attach the canvas to the frame and decide how to treat the outer rim. When I took the original parasol apart I was very carefully inspecting their method and wanted to re-create this again. Firstly it mad a small hole in the middle of the canvas which was marked from the very first step. This hole was put over the small spiky pole which can be seen in the picture. I then cut very fine strips of double sided sticky tape and put a 2'' strip on each umbrella branch near the wooly part. After removing the safety layer I stretched canvas a stuck the fabric on each branch singly. I repeated this procedure further down near the rim underneath the canvas. Another row of sticky tapes went around the very end so that there was around 1/2'' on the underside of each branch too. I then took some really strong yarn and strung it around the parasol rim. A loop around each branch end and then quite tight to the next, all held together by the sticky tape. I then cut back the fabric to about 1 1/2'' and folded it over several times. This fold stuck to each branch and was then hand stitched all around to create an even and neat finish. Remember with umbrellas that you can see the underside too. To work best I popped the parasol in a big vase, put it on a table and worked standing up.

No comments:

Post a Comment