Sunday 4 November 2012

End of Course project III


The next step was the lace. I planned the whole umbrella thoroughly but I decided to 'go with the flow' in regards of the different stitches for the lace. Just as well because once I overlaid the muslin with the water-soluble fabric, stitched it on and cut away the muslin, I realised how much I have to sew to create  stitches dense enough to build a lace. Oh my! I worked many hours on the stitching and used the many, many stitches my computerised sewing machine offered. I think I sat about 18 hours on the lace alone. I deliberately was not too careful to create the same density everywhere. Just like the antiques I wanted to have the occasional hole or weak part. After all the sewing I soaked the muslin in cold water to remove the water-soluble fabric. On the picture you can see the muslin just after the bath drying on a white towel. 

No comments:

Post a Comment