Friday 2 November 2012

End of course project I

First stage of my project was choosing and ordering the right umbrella/parasol. I decided I wanted zone made of natural materials, with a short handle and with a knob handle and no metal spike. After lots of research I went for an Asian wedding dance umbrella made from bamboo. It got send from Malaysia. 
I removed the original fabric and the plastic cap on the top so I was only left with the bamboo frame. The umbrella has a quite flat shape and many branches.



I then started with the felting part which would be the inner middle of the parasol. I took a sky blue silk and made baubles with felting wool in corn flower blue, light blue and turquoise and a white Netherlands wool. The reason for that was that the wool fibres would felt through and make the baubles look more organic with the different shapes. Once I bound the wools in the silk I nuno felted the piece of silk so that the fibres merged with the silk and the cotton string to bind the silk could be removed. Please note the really cool back side of the silk piece which will vanish later. 

No comments:

Post a Comment